In the Works: Block 6 of Hazel’s Diary Quilt

I’m getting ready to work on Best.Christmas.Ever, Block 6 of Hazel’s Diary Quilt, the sampler quilt I started working on in January. (See the original quilt in my first post about it here.) The plan is to incorporate the four fabrics you see above. I think the green and black holly print will go in the large green triangles you see in my color mock-up.

Here’s the original block created by Shelly Pagliai of Prairie Moon Quilts:

Don’t you love the addition of the appliquéd flower in the center of the block?

It’s important to note that the block you see above with the scalloped border measures 18″ finished. The star block in the middle finishes at 12″ and then strips of the white background fabric are added on all four sides to bring it up to 18″ before the scallop is appliquéd in place. Remember this, as those measurements will come up later in the post.

As with my first four blocks, I’m reorienting the design so that the block is positioned the way you see it above when turned on point in the finished quilt. Here are the original and modified blocks drawn in EQ7 software:


It’s easier for you to see what I’ve done if I turn the modified version on point:


The block design is the same but the proportions are different: the elements in the modified block are noticeably smaller.

The quilt math on this block turned out to be quite a challenge! The original block was made on a 6 x 6 grid whereas the modified block must be made on a 5 x 5 grid to duplicate the look within the space constraints. I know that sounds crazy but look at the pencil markings on the next photo to see what I mean:

See how the block on the left is a 6 x 6 grid and the one on the right is 5 x 5?

My block is going to finish at 12½” instead of 12″ for the simple reason that the block needs to be easily divisible by five to work with my 5 x 5 grid. Technically speaking, 12″ is divisible by five:  2.4″ is the magic number. But quilters work in eighths of an inch, not tenths of an inch. I didn’t want to go there although I considered it . . . briefly.

Now, think about a block that finishes ½” larger than all the other blocks. Normally that would be a deal breaker. Ah, but I have a plan. Since the 12″ star blocks are surrounded by strips of background fabric to make them finish at 18″, I think I can get away with making the strips a little narrower on this block to compensate for the fact that the star block is bigger.

The other thing I’m going to do is sew my seams with a full quarter-inch seam allowance instead of my usual scant quarter-inch. That should draw the block up by at least a quarter of an inch, meaning that this star block will actually finish at 12¼” — pretty darn close to the size it should be.

Still with me or have I confused you completely?

 

 

 

This entry was posted in appliqué, Hazel's Diary Quilt, needleturn appliqué, update. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to In the Works: Block 6 of Hazel’s Diary Quilt

  1. Reigh says:

    I’m thoroughly confused, but I can’t wait to see the finished product!

  2. Diane says:

    I’m as confused as Reigh, but your quilting followers will no doubt understand. Gee, these fabrics light up my happy place. The colors as well as the scallop treatment make me feel nostalgic. Absolutely wonderful!!

  3. Vickie says:

    You are amazing! I am just still trying to get a consistent 1/4″ seam. Once again this is going to be a stunning quilt.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *