I made this iron caddy as a birthday present for my friend Viv. The pattern, which I tweaked a little, is “Caddy Pad” by Sisters’ Common Thread.
Details about the fabric are in my post of May 15.
I made a caddy for myself a couple months earlier while on a retreat with my quilt group, the Quisters:
You can read more about it here, including the changes I made to the pattern. 2013.
Sewing Machine Dust Cover, Version 4
This version features a flange on both sides of the accent strip. Of the four sewing machine dust covers I’ve made, all shown directly below, I like this one the best.
I made it while on a retreat in March with my quilt group, the Quisters. You can read about it here. 2013.
Sewing Machine Dust Cover, Version 3
Version 3 in my experiments with sewing machine dust covers features a better way of attaching the binding — attaching it to the side panels first and then finishing with one strip around the bottom.
To read my post about the making of this dust cover, click here. 2013
Sewing Machine Dust Cover, Version 2
My second attempt at a sewing machine dust cover yielded this version, accented by contrasting strips and a flange.
I rounded the corners on this one, another departure from the first version shown below. To read more about this dust cover, click here. 2012.
Sewing Machine Dust Cover — the Prototype
After making a quilted cover to transport my sewing machine [see the entry below this one], I decided to make a dust cover to put on my machine when I’m done sewing for the day. Instead of using boring old muslin, I picked a pretty floral fabric and bound it in a bright green:
My prototype was a keeper! To read my post about the making of this dust cover, click here. 2012
Sewing Machine Cover
I wrote about the construction of the sewing machine cover in my Sept. 2 post, Sewing Machine Cover . . . Done! Clicking here will take you directly to that post. 2012
Rotary Cutter Case
This rotary cutter case was made for my friend Vivienne’s birthday. The design is a riff on one I saw recently in a magazine. It looks like a little coat, doesn’t it? I added buttonholes before binding the case all the way around and then fusing the bottom together with ¼”-wide Steam-a-Seam. I found those buttons last year at the Scott Antique Market in Atlanta, Georgia while visiting my twin sister. The antique market is open the second weekend of every month, which has something to do with the timing of my visits. 2012
Billie Mahorney, who designed this quilter’s tote, calls it “The Take It All With You Bag” but every quilter who has ever made one simply calls it her “Billie Bag.” Each bag is unique because the maker can put whatever she wants on the front and back, and the inside pockets are customized as well. This is actually my second Billie Bag. My first one measures 20” x 20” x 7”, following Billie’s original design. The one you see above is slightly smaller, measuring 14½” x 17” x 7”, and it has both a short and long set of handles. Both bags hold an amazing amount of supplies, including a 6” x 24” acrylic ruler, thanks to the 7” width of the side panels. 2011
In the Doghouse
I was teaching a class on folded log cabins at the Pine Needle Quilt Shop when I spotted this fabric with several kinds of dogs on it. It’s from the Fifi and Fido line by Anna Griffin. The little hound dog looked like he needed a home — a folded log cabin home. A folded log cabin doghouse, to be precise. I think some of his canine companions need their own doghouses, too, don’t you?
- 6” x 10½”
In the summer of 2010 I took a class on fractured images from Johanne Gibson in Sisters, Oregon. I love the ripples-in-a-pond effect. Since then I’ve fractured several images, including this one, and taught how-to classes at the Pine Needle in Lake Oswego, Oregon.
It’s always interesting to compare the original fabric image with its fractured cousin.
- 17” square
The hanger came first. When I spotted this vintage weaver’s spool for sale at an old mill, I knew right away that it needed a little quilt to hang from it. I decided to make separate folded log cabin blocks and join them with grosgrain ribbon. A few strips of dupioni silk and shot cotton added a bit of shimmer.
- 5½” x 22”
This was my first folded log cabin project after taking a class in 2009 from Sarah Kaufman, author of Folded Log Cabin Quilts (C&T Publishing, 2010). I envision House #1 as part of a series called ‘There Goes the Neighborhood.’
- • 6” x 15”
- • 2009