Saved by the Bell — er, Button

Work continues on my version of Hazel’s Diary Quilt, the lovely sampler quilt Shelly Pagliai designed in memory of her mother. I finished appliquéing the red scalloped frame on Block 1, Missouri Farm Girl, yesterday. All that remained was sewing a tiny black star in the center of the yellow flower.

Missouri Farm Girl was the very first block I made when I started this project at the beginning of 2018. I’d been postponing affixing the tiny star until I had many more hours of practice in with needleturn appliqué.  I thought I was ready. Nope. Not ready. (Did I mention that star is tiny?)

After a couple of failed attempts, I turned to my button collection, rifling through several antique spooners and celery vases to find a button that looks like it belongs in the block. I think I found the perfect one:

What do you think?

 

 

 

This entry was posted in appliqué, Hazel's Diary Quilt, needleturn appliqué, update. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Saved by the Bell — er, Button

  1. Reigh says:

    Love it!

  2. Vickie Rooks says:

    It looks like the button was made just for that block! Great find.

  3. Charlie says:

    The button is so natural looking I expect it will dry up. Be a surprise when it doesn’t.

  4. Thera Papa says:

    Perfection

  5. Melody Wilson says:

    I love it.

  6. Ian West says:

    A button of genius! Botanically!

  7. Ethel Wesdorp says:

    I love it! The button was made for this!

  8. Suzanne Reese says:

    BINGO!

  9. Sandy says:

    It is perfect! Love that block.

  10. suzette shoulders says:

    Dawn, I so enjoy your blog! I think that button works great, or you could use a tiny yo-yo! I often told my students in crazy patch classes that if they had a place that didn’t meet their standards, it was fine to cover it up with a yo-yo! : ) Suzette in snowy white Bend

  11. Diane says:

    Perfectly simple and simply perfect!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *