Here’s a sneak peek of one of three valances I made for my stepmother Shirley’s living room windows:
You’re looking at a little over half of the shortest valance, which measures 62″ wide. The finished width is actually 54″ because the rod has brackets that come out from the wall 4″ on each end and the valance wraps around the brackets. The pleat near the end is close to where the valance wraps around the bracket.
I’m looking pretty pleased, aren’t I? The valances turned out just as I had envisioned them: understated and elegant. The simple design — flat valances with inverted pleats at the center and ends — allows the subtle herringbone decorator fabric to be the star of the show.
So about those best laid plans . . . The idea was to head over to Bend in Central Oregon this coming weekend to install the valances with the help of my nephew Scott, coming to Bend from another part of the state. We’ve all been keeping our eyes on the weather forecast, knowing this may be one of the last weekends to travel across the state before ice and snow make driving conditions dangerous.
The forecast is still looking good but I’m not going anywhere. Why? Because the Dear Husband has a rebound case of Covid! You may recall from my last post that he got Covid from me and was prescribed the antiviral medication Paxlovid, which helped him bounce back from Covid almost immediately. Four days after testing negative, he started exhibiting cold symptoms again and subsequently tested positive. It turns out about four percent of Covid patients who take Paxlovid come down with Covid again within a very few days. It’s known as “Paxlovid rebound.”
So here we are . . . back in isolation. Not going to Bend this weekend. If by some stroke of luck the weather the following weekend looks decent, and provided the DH is recovered (which I expect to be the case), we’ll make the trip over the mountain. If not, we’ll all have to wait till spring to see the valances installed in Shirley’s home.
The valances were more challenging to make than I expected. I quickly realized that the decorator fabric was quite thick and heavy, which would make traditional inverted pleats bulky, especially because the fabric needed to be lined. So I made faux pleats!
Let me show you what I mean. Here’s a picture of a pleat at one end of the valance:
Here’s what that pleat really looks like:
Do you see what I did? Each “pleat” is actually a separate piece of fabric lined to the edge, layered underneath the main fabric pieces, and attached to the rod pocket. (The lining fabric is a 100% quilting cotton from my stash.) Each valance is made of seven lined rectangles, three of which are faux pleats, plus the rod pocket.
Isn’t it nice when a home dec vision is realized?
So frustrating and I hope a quick recovery from rebound Covid. The lovely valances will be appreciated no matter when they arrive!
Hoping for a swift and complete recovery for Charlie! Your valances are so impressive. Your reign as The Home Dec Queen continues!!
Oh, Dawn! I’m so sorry Charlie is sick again! But, the valances look really nice. That actually gives me a good idea for my own windows.
Beautiful professional job on the valances! I have made drapes but not valances because they look so difficult. Great work-around!
You are the cleverest ever!
Light bulb moment on the valances. I think I can translate that to my bed skirt. Yours are beautiful. I think I will send good wishes that next week’s weather is hold…and Charlie feels better and even if you don’t go I don’t mind pushing winter weather out a little longer. 🙂
We are on the same wavelength, Bridget! I’ve used the faux pleat technique on several tailored bedskirts made for friends and family. Oh, and also on a slipcover I made for my sister’s upholstered ottoman.
Nicely done, Dawn!